Saturday 7 February 2009

Knit One, Save One


I know! That's exactly what I was thinking! Isn't it too hot to HOLD yarn, let alone crochet with it? Yes I think it is.

Staying inside due to the heat and needing a creative outlet however, my daughter instantly turned her thoughts to winter pursuits and sat in front of her fan with her favourite hook. Why? Because every winter there's so much need for woolies all over the world...and there never seems to be enough time to get around to making them within the season...so why not start early?


Actually, my daughter has just learnt to crochet and
decided to put her baby beanie making skills to use. For those of you in America, the Knit One Save One project is a great way to get involved in something creative, progressive and important. You can follow the link here:

http://www.savethechildren.org/programs/health/child-survival/survive-to-5/knit-one-save-one.html

In Australia, the Guardian Pharmacy chain run a great seasonal promotion drive for hand knitted items to distribute to those in need, and its never too early to start.

I'm still shocked and saddened when I hear that for most of the world's people, the basic necessities are a struggle.


This beanie from start to finish took 45mins to crochet. I haven't yet met a quilter who isnt talented in knitting or crochet, so if you have a spare 3/4 of an hour, why not brush up on your knitting skills, use up those yarn left overs or just do your bit for those in need? It's doesnt take much and if we all just did one, there'd be enough to go around.

Why not Knit One to Save One today?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Esther,
    I tried, without any luck, to find the pattern for the baby's beanie your daughter is croqueting. Is it possible to post please? I am only at croqueting, but might be able to manage this worthwhile cause. Thanks, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure Christine,

    The Save the Children fund have a few beanie patterns on their site, but my daughter is a crocheter and didnt find any she liked.

    So she made it up as she went along and is making another one today based on her notes to ensure the pattern is right. Its a definite beginners pattern so you will be fine! I will post it on my blog this week so that anyone who likes it can make it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Esther,
    Thanks for offering to post beanie pattern. Will keep an eye out for it. kind regards, Christine

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...