Wednesday 28 November 2012

WOW: Chaos? What chaos?

WOW = WIPs On Wednesday


Patterns, patterns, patterns

What was I thinking when I decided to have a pre-Christmas sewing spring clean?

A few weeks ago my shelves toppled over. That was the jolt I needed to get my things in order! I'm at the worst part of it today - that stage where everything looks worse than it did before I started and the satisfying tidy finish looks weeks away. Of course with Christmas weeks away, my newly organised sewing room can't be weeks away, it has to be days away. So I'm up early, not because I'm excited about a new project...but because I can't finish any projects in my current sewing area, there's just no room to move.

I don't think I could live long enough to actually make all the designs, sketches and pattern ideas I've created...so it's time to prioritise. There are literally hundreds. Each new page is a dilemna: I love the idea or sketch, but realistically, will I make it?

All my beautiful books and my practical books are bagged and moved out of my room. I have to decide what to keep and what to let go of...if I can.

These are not my shelved and bagged magazines - that's a whole other shelf hiding in the spare room...and I havent even planned to take that on yet. I don't know what I'll do with those, there are so many and I can't face sorting them out. Maybe with a tidy sewing room I'll find the motivation.



Here are my archive boxes. I have 60 to put together. I've only made 20 so far. I am packing all my fabric up, according to colour and shelf life and once my room is sorted and my shelves are sturdy and in position, I will re-think my fabric mountain. As I handle the fabric that goes into boxes so far, I keep falling in love with them all over again, so I dont know if I'll be able to minimise. I keep coming across old WIPs that I'm keen to finish too. I can't wait to be organised and actually get some sewing done in my sewing room!

Archive boxes are relatively small, however I decided that I wanted a box I could actually manage on my own. I have made the mistake of storing fabric and other items in plastic stacking boxes that are just too heavy to move around - which is really of no use to me. So I have quite a few boxes, but I can actually use them and I find the side handle gaps useful too. 

With December just a few days away, I have decided that I will launch the 'December 15th' installment of Forget Me Not early so that those of you who are making it can organise yourselves more easily over this festive period. I know some of you are going away and have asked me to email you the pattern on release so that you don't miss it, but instead I think that I'll actually release it early for everyone. I know how hectic this time of year is in my household and it's just one less thing to think about in December!

This is the last WIP before festivities begin!
What are you making? Thinking of making? Finishing up?



6 comments:

  1. I know it does not seem like fun now but when you are finished you will be soooooo happy!Keep up the great organizing.
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thats alot of work ahead of you!! Just think though when its all done you will feel so much better!!
    I'd be hiding the extras under the beds in boxes instead of getting rid of anything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel! I had a huge clear out before we left Holland. It is so much easier to work when you can see what you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Esther I need to do the same, but every time I look into my fabric cupboards I can't part with my fabric. I do have to get rid of some though. Good thing my shelving has doors on them. LOL Hugs and Good Luck you will feel free soon. Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some projects to finish too. Thank you for hosting the WIP Linky. I am your newest follower! Sylvia :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorting can be chaotic but I love finding all those things I haven't seen for ages. So what if they just get put away til the next sort.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...