Saturday 20 June 2015

Oma's Blues: Making A Start

 Of course I just discovered that I promptly packed away my original designs sheets and just as  promptly archived them before I'd even made the quilt! It's such a hassle to unpack my design packages once I've set them, that it's just easier for me to print out the pattern like everyone else!
My Toshiba copier is officially finished. It died and its much too expensive to fix. I'm really annoyed about it as it was a professional grade copier and I got so used to having it around. The downside was the expense of the thing - which was huge. But the fact is, it was a serious part of my creative process. The other problem I have is that I had taught myself to create my patterns according to its processes - I had a system that made sense to me. Now I have to find a way to do the same thing on two different machines and via software which is all too much and so time consuming. I'm so glad I finished Oma's Blues 6 months ago because I really wouldn't have finished it if the Toshiba had died back then. I feel that I am too old to learn new ways on technology. I just don't know what to do about it. I'm still thinking about whether to get it replaced ....? Or not. I don't know at the moment. 

Anyway, this also means that  I have to construct the pattern like everyone else and just get on with the job. I'm so glad I added a reverse option to the pattern because I can no longer simply reverse on my copier and going out to do it would be such a hassle. I must admit, I am somewhat set in my ways and change irritates me!
Unfortunately, my little domestic printer print the pattern wrong and set the print paper to 'letter', which I only noticed after 20 minutes of cutting out and gluing. So I forgot to take my own advice and had to re-print the whole thing in A4 and no re-sizing!
Finally, I'm making a start!

11 comments:

  1. Oh Esther, I hate change too! When my 1974 Bernini 830 wore out I bought another 1974 Bernina 830! Nothing new to learn! And the machine cost me as much as when I bought it new! At least the second one won't have to last me forty years. I won't be around that long, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your thinking Nancy, I feel like this about computers! I'm prepared to learn anything new with sewing machines - but not printers or computers. Yet, since I got a computer 20 years ago I've been through so much software and upgrades I would never have believed it was possible. I just want things to be simple...which is impossible these days

      Delete
  2. I hate change too - the electronic age is sometimes beyond my skills

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just so sick of it. I want everything to stay just how I like it...forever!

      Delete
  3. LOL sorry Esther but I have done the same thing myself so often, or printed 1/2 the pattern 100% and the other 1/2 98% I'm not sure why but my printer has a mind of it's own and resets itself to print at 98% My DS can not work out why it does it too so its not just me. But try matching up one piece of paper that is 100% and one piece 98% it just does not work?????? Any way thanks for sharing your mistakes with us as we do learn from them, I noticed on one of the links last week they had commented that they were going to pre wash all their fabrics for Oma's Blues after reading your blog!. Cheers Glenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH I KNOW?!! I can't work out why my new printer keeps re-setting to 'letter' drives me mad, will have to have my DH take a look at it, its beyond me

      Delete
  4. Hi, Esther, Have you checked to see if the same model printer is available used? Each printer has a 'counter' as far as usage goes. You may be able to find one with lower usage and at a reasonable price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've looked at the options. It's so expensive and I was only using it for my 'hobby' so I don't think I will replace it...but I do miss it :(

      Delete
  5. I think all of us over a certain age have a truely "Love - Hate" relationship with technology. I can't imagine my life without it really but it is frustrating when the "machines" think that they know more about what I want them to do that I do. I sympathize.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's too bad about your printer, Esther. It is hard for me, too, (at my age) to change my thinking about process especially when it involves technology. It's too bad you couldn't find a used Toshiba in good condition. The pattern for this quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always thought printers are possessed ! At least the one in my house is LOL. I totally understand about having to go out to get your printing done, a waste of valuable quilting time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting. I moderate comments to block spam so don't worry if your comment doesn't appear instantly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...